Seattle Wine Blog

This blog is dedicated to commentary on all aspects of wine, especially short entries to help you find the best wines without the usual hype and spin. These are my frank, independent opinions, usually based on tasting wine at a public event, off the shelf or at the winery. "All creative acts must arise out of a specific soil and flicker with a spirit of place" -D.H. Lawrence

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Geronimo!

Did you know that the Apaches made wine before the Spaniards arrived? Just kidding, but up there in the Chiracahua Mountains at 4200 feet, Al Buhl, Sam Pillsberry, and Tom Bostock grow grapes and make wine. When I spotted Dos Cabezas 2004 "El Norte" with it's 45% Mourvedre, 35% Grenache, 15% Petite Sirah, and 5% Syrah, I thought, wow, I have to try this despite the advice of the sales person I was consulting who advised purchasing the Tuscan blend. I didn't want a Tuscan blend! I was looking for a big exciting Rhone Style wine like those made by Kent Callaghan. I should have listened to the wine guy. I'm not sure whether this one is called "El Norte" because it is north of Elgin or because it is made to pander to gringo taste. How you can make bottled cotton candy blended with the taste of sweet hard candy from this combination of Rhone varietals is beyond me, but the Dos Cabezas plus one managed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
More blogs about seattle wine blog.