Seattle Wine Blog

This blog is dedicated to commentary on all aspects of wine, especially short entries to help you find the best wines without the usual hype and spin. These are my frank, independent opinions, usually based on tasting wine at a public event, off the shelf or at the winery. "All creative acts must arise out of a specific soil and flicker with a spirit of place" -D.H. Lawrence

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ten Best Vineyards

My goal is not to canonize certain vineyards, winemakers, etc,. I call these "bests" because it gets your attention. They are really my faves, but they are more than that! They are entities that are worthy of attention. They may be new, they may not include certain venues that are well known or have star status. I only include vineyards I am familiar with. Last year, some anonymous sage was upset because I included Seven Hills Vineyard which is actually in Oregon, but it is in the Walla Walla AVA, one of relatively few cross-state AVAs. Besides many Washington winemakers use their grapes. I heard sour grapes from other generous anonymous commentators who advocated for the various vineyards that contribute to Cayuse wines. Having no experience with these vineyards, nor with Cayuse wines, how can I know if they are "bests" or "faves." After all, these wines are only available to the exclusive mailing list. Trevor tells me I've arrived. We will see! While I find it exciting that Christophe found " Les Cailloux", the stones of the Rhone right there in Walla Walla, how can I know. Christophe and Trevor assure me that eventually I will get to taste their wines. Maybe even a tour of the stony vineyards? Anyway, here's the list for this year in no particular order. Some of you know that I have serious questions about ranking systems since ranks are ordinal numbers and can not be treated in the same way as nominal numbers. Furthermore, what is a meaningful difference. Is a rating of 90 statistically significantly better than 89? Is the standard deviation less than 1? Here's this year's list:

1) Klipsun

2) Ciel Du Cheval

3) Champoux

4) Sheridan

5) Boushay

6) Stillwater

7) Cold Creek

8) Canoe Ridge

9) Pepper Bridge

10) Seven Hills

5 Comments:

  • At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow...this list is a new low for me. some of these rankings make absolutely no sense. i'd love to see you do a blind tasting of wines from these wineries and then see who rates on top. this has got to stop.

    please don't take my comments as hyper-critical -- they are critical, but i think some introspection on how wines are rated is warranted; the system is broke. face facts and be a part of the solution.

     
  • At 10:42 PM, Blogger Gene Stein, Ph.D. said…

    Wow! Another anonymous attack! THIS HAS GOT TO STOP! First, this is not a list of wineries, but of vineyards. Would you like to tell these grapegrowers what is wrong with their vineyards? Would you like to suggest some others? Second, why don't you come out and fight like a man or a woman, instead of hiding behind a cloak of anonymity. Third, why don't YOU be part of the solution? Where are your positive solutions? Where are your opinions,recommendations, suggestions? I am totally open to blind tastings and other points of view. Want to join me? This is truly a new low in wimpish behaviour. What's your problem? Frankly, you sound somewhat hysterical. Who do you think would come out on top? You are right! Introspection is in order, on your part. How come you are so hostile? What are you threatened by? I look forward to your reply! Anonimo

     
  • At 10:44 PM, Blogger Gene Stein, Ph.D. said…

    BTW, your English ain't too good.

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    shame on you Gene, What about the northwest's top white wine vineyard, Celilo Vineyard. Sure, red wines often garner more attention than white wines, but there appears to be fewer vineyards able to produce truly unique white wines than red wines. So I champion Celilo Vineyard in the Columbia Gorge.

     
  • At 9:31 PM, Blogger Gene Stein, Ph.D. said…

    James, You are totally right. Crlilo is definitely a great vineyard. Thanks for your comment.
    Gene

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
More blogs about seattle wine blog.